Monday, July 18, 2005

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I've been watching the "Special Deliveries" videos over at Amazon.com. They're celebrating their 10th anniversary by having famous writers, actors, sports stars, etc. deliver packages to customers. Harrison Ford took somebody their order of the Star Wars trilogy, Howie Mandel delivered a copy of his DVD to someone. There are a bunch of them on there because they did it for 10 days straight.

Anyway, one of them is Jason Alexander delivering the first 4 seasons of Seinfeld. In the video, he explains the origin of the phrase "Not that there's anything wrong with that" in "The Outing" episode. It got me thinking about all the different catch phrases that were created on that show. How many people still say things like "No soup for you!" in their everyday conversation?

The one we use all the time is "You are so good-looking." If you don't remember, there was an episode in one of the first seasons where they have a discussion about how outdated it is to say "God bless you" when someone sneezes. You should say something to make the person feel good about him or herself, the conversation goes. So Jerry decides that the thing to say is "You are so good-looking." And hubby and I still say that to each other every time we sneeze.

I got to use another Seinfeld line on a plane once. I had gotten an upgrade to first class and was sitting next to a very nice businessman. During the flight, people kept coming through the curtain between first class and the rest of the plane to use the restroom up front. I finally turned to the guy next to me and said, "You know that curtain is no kind of security. They really should have a locking door." I think the guy thought I was serious, and he agreed with me!

But my all-time favorite line from Seinfeld is from the "shrinkage" conversation. After George and Jerry explain to Elaine that "it shrinks," she says, "I don't know how you guys walk around with those things." In a house full of males, I get a lot of mileage out of that line!

What's your favorite Seinfeld quote?

2 comments:

  1. "I don't return fruit. Fruit is a gamble. I know that going in." ~ Jerry

    "The only excuse she might possibly have accepted is if I told her I am in reality Batman, and I'm very sorry, I just saw the Bat Signal." ~ George

    "She had man-hands!" ~Jerry
    Those are a few that I have used on occassion. Nothing like bonding over Seinfeld

    ReplyDelete
  2. yada yada yada...

    NO DOUBLE DIPPING!

    ReplyDelete